In this 30-week class, we will explore Spanish in a fun, hands-on way, using conversation, games, music, food, and books. The class goal is for students to know basic daily vocabulary, be able to carry on brief conversations in Spanish and be enthusiastic about further language learning.
We will be “Exploradores” (Explorers) who visit Spanish-speaking countries, sample their foods, listen to their music, and celebrate some of their festivals and holidays. Take-homes will help parents and siblings to join in learning Spanish! This class touches on both spoken and written Spanish. (This is a beginner class. It can be taken more than once as the activities will differ from year to year, though there will be a continued reinforcement of the Spanish language building blocks, of which the repetition will assist in their language development).
We spend some time each week on speaking/listening to Spanish as well as on Spanish-speaking culture. Activities are different each year. We will learn the alphabet in spanish and some basic spelling, and vocabulary like numbers, colors, cognates, adjectives, verbs, animals, and much more. Various games are used weekly to introduce and review vocabulary. Some examples are card games, Bingo, musical colors, and counting games. Students earn pesos for participating and can spend them at El Mercado (the market) at the end of each semester.
For the culture portion, we “visit” one Spanish speaking country each week, learning fun facts and stamp our passports. The class will learn about and celebrate many different Spanish Holidays, like Dia de Los Muertos and CInco de Mayo.
All supplies provided.
Class homework requirements: Brief weekly homework; like looking up facts for the countries or Holidays we are studying/celebrating, finding a new word to share with the class, etc. 30 minutes or less weekly.
Class Fee: $300
Supply fee: $60
Tutor: Michelle Stevens
COVID-19 Contingency Plan:
In the event that trusted public health authorities recommend against in-classroom instruction during the 2021-22 school year, we will make the following adjustments to this class:
- Tutor and students will meet at the scheduled class time via a video conferencing service.
- Tutor will locate and share engaging video content that coordinates with each lesson.
- Recognizing that extended screen time is difficult for some young children, if parents of beginner students opt not to participate in the video conferencing, an additional in-person condensed review session will be held during the first two week of in-person classes to facilitate their transition back to the classroom.
- Assignments, when necessary, will be submitted electronically.
- One-on-one calls with the teacher will be scheduled periodically to assess and practice language skills.
- We will use a combination of supplies you are likely to have at home and a supply kit I send home with students.
- Live video classes will also be recorded and posted for viewing at students’ convenience.
Please note we may begin, suspend, or end classroom meetings at any point during the school year as the COVID-19 situation evolves. Our goal is to keep your family safe and engaged during this unprecedented time.