This 30-week, one-and-a-half-hour class will cover grammar, vocabulary, reading and writing. There are 3 separate years of Middle School Language Art, Year A, Year B and Year C. The curriculum and books used are different for each year.
Grammar will be covered using Easy Grammar assignments. Students are asked to delete prepositional phrases to help understand other concepts. In addition to grammar concepts, capitalization, punctuation, sentence types, phrases/clauses and friendly/business letters are included. Ample practice worksheets are offered for each skill.
Vocabulary words and assignments will be taken from the book that is being read or from The Critical Thinking Company’s Critical Thinking Detective Vocabulary Book 1. Students will be given vocabulary words each week with activities to help them master the words for a quiz. I will provide the worksheets for this; no book will need to be purchased.
Writing will be taught using the book we are reading or The Critical Thinking Company’s Building Writing Skill: Essential Tips & Techniques and The Critical Thinking Company’s Think and Write Book 3
Reading will include 4-6 of the following books (2-3 per semester): (A variety of factors will determine which books, including student input.)
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
- Call it Courage by Armstrong Sperry
- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- The Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O’Dell
- Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
Reading assignments will be given weekly and then discussed in class. Books can be checked out at the library, listened to, or purchased. I do encourage a physical copy of the book for homework and discussion.
- Easy Grammar Grade 6 Student Workbook
- Easy Grammar Grade 6 Student Test Booklet
- Books from the list above – I will give you 2 weeks’ notice so may check out or purchase the next book.
- Access to Schoology – this is where assignments and grades will be posted
Class homework requirements: The average student can expect to spend about 45 minutes a day on homework (~4 days a week). Students will have all the necessary resources to complete homework mostly on their own after class. Homework will include grammar, vocabulary and writing assignments, as well as reading assignments.
Time: 9:00 – 10:30
Class Fee: $375
Supply Fee: $75
Tutor: Jill Knight