Does your student love solving problems? Are they curious about how things work? This course is designed to satisfy their intellectual curiosity. Additionally Lego robotics will be used to reinforce practical application. With programming considered the new literacy, these skills will strengthen students’ critical thinking, logic, and problem solving.
Programming provides multiple benefits:
- Programming builds confidence as students get real-time feedback while they work.
- Programming inspires innovation. There is no limit to the types of projects students can create.
- Programming translates to other subject areas and supports learning in math, science, and reading. It uses all elements of STEAM (Science, Technology, Arts, and Math) at the same time
- Programming is becoming a fundamental skill, like reading and math. It is considered a new type of literacy for the 21st century
- Programming, like a second language is best learned at an early age
- Any student is capable of programming. Last year over 200 million children were exposed to coding
Scratch is a great first programming language no matter the experience level. Students will use programmed coding blocks to make characters and objects come alive. They will create animations, video games, and bring scenes to life with sound. Self expression will be used to design characters and backdrops and problem solving to create specific outcomes on-screen. During the school year we will explore the lines of code behind the programming blocks in Python.
For the Lego robotics part of the course students will build characters, games, and props then program their movement. In this portion students will apply their on-screen with hands-on application.
This is a wonderful launching pad for students to continue to advance their programming knowledge to higher level languages. Students will be able to save all of their class work to build on skills obtained throughout the school year.
Computer or Chromebook with one of the following browsers. Tablets cannot be used.
- Chrome or Mobile Chrome 63 or higher
- Edge 15 or higher
- Firefox 57 or higher
- Safari or Mobile Safari 11 or higher
Internet Explorer is not supported
Class Homework: Homework will be assigned sparingly, usually only when an in-class assignment isn’t completed
Class Fee: $400
Books and Supply Fee: $150
Tutor: Angel Parkes
Minimum enrollment of 8 students
If the COVID-19 pandemic affects our ability to meet in person in a classroom, we will make the following adjustments to this class. Tutor will provide assignments to be completed weekly and supplies as needed to accompany lessons. Tutor and students will meet at the scheduled class time via live video streaming to review material and answer questions. Testing will be submitted and graded/corrected electronically. Our goal is to meet in person as soon as it is feasible. We may begin classroom meetings at any point during the school year as the COVID-19 situation resolves.