In this 30 week, 1 ½ hour class, students will be introduced to the stunning world we live in, as well as the universe around it. From the composition of air, to icebergs, to astrophysics, students will receive thorough lessons in each element of the physical world
The text, Exploring Creation with Physical Science (2nd edition), discusses such topics as :
- Measurement and Units so that students can convert between units in scientific study.
- The structure of the Earth, Atmosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere so that students can appreciate the wonder of our blue planet.
- Weather so that students can understand the factors that affect the Earth’s weather and how weather is predicted.
- An Introduction to Physics to understand the mechanics of motion, forces, and energy.
- Newton’s Laws and the Forces in Creation to understand friction, static and kinetic energy, gravity, electromagnetic forces, and electrical circuits.
- Solar System, Stars, and Galaxies to introduce the wonders of our universe.
- An Introduction to Chemistry for a basic introduction to atoms and molecule.
In class we will conduct many experiments, participate in hands on activities, learn to write lab reports, and discuss the major points from assigned reading.
Throughout their academic school year, your students will conduct controlled experiments where they observe a problem, ask a question, formulate a testable hypothesis, and then conduct the experiment and analyze the data to see if their results support their hypothesis. It involves quantitative data that require measurements. The students will be learning how to write a lab report that describes the process and also what the student learned through the lab. Additionally, students will conduct descriptive experiments to use their 5 senses to make qualitative observations and describe what they learn.
This class is an excellent course for preparing the student to take a college-prep high school science curriculum. Most umbrella schools accept this as a high school science credit. Please check with your umbrella school if you are planning to use it to satisfy a high school science credit.
Please NOTE: Students will need to purchase Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Physical Science, 2nd edition. This textbook is no longer in print. Some copies can be found on used book websites or from other homeschool families. I have a limited supply of textbooks. Please let me know if you would like to purchase a used textbook. It’s a first come, first serve basis.
Class Homework requirements: This class will have weekly homework which will include reading, review questions, tests, study guides and lab reports. Schoology will be used to turn in most assignments.
Grades: 8 – 11
Class Fee: $395
Supply fee: $60
Tutor: Andrea Reese
COVID-19 Contingency Plan:
In the event that the COVID-19 pandemic affects our ability to meet in person in a classroom for the 2021-22 school year, I will make the following adjustments to this class. Tutor and students will meet at the scheduled class time via a video chat service. Assignments can be submitted electronically, and feedback will be provided electronically.