Rick Riordan’s character “Junior” in Magnus Chase cited an interesting grammar lesson among a list of things that do not exist. I beg to differ! Learning grammar doesn’t have to be painful. We will keep it light, relevant, informative, and, gasp!, fun. Class discussion will be lively and possibly even enjoyable.
For the budding linguist or the kid who has steadily avoided acknowledging the very existence of grammar, this 30 week class has something for everyone.
Class Objectives include:
- -A true working knowledge of the basics of grammar
- -Using the best of a variety of grammar programs, students will transcend the bounds of one individual program taught in isolation.
- -Special attention will be paid to concepts that feature on the ACT.
- -Vocabulary development
- -Increased reading comprehension
Texts (Included in Supply Fee)
- -Wordly Wise (the original)
- Worldy Wise provides a comprehensive vocabulary program that complements the study of grammar and sentence building perfectly.
- -Easy Grammar – Daily lessons will cement individual concepts
- -Various Literature- texts provided unless available online for free, or at the local library
Students will need:
- A 3 ring 1 1/2” binder and dividers, paper, pencils
- Access to Schoology- tests, and assignments will be posted there
- Dictionary (at home)
Class homework requirements:
- –Easy Grammar, Daily
- -Completion of weekly assignments which can include: class handouts, homework packet, or Schoology “workbook” assignments
- -Weekly vocabulary study
- -Weekly Reading Assignments
- -Weekly writing or writing correction assignments
- Students can expect to spend about 45-60 minutes a day on homework (~3 days a week). Students will have all the necessary resources to complete homework on their own after class. Homework times are estimates and will vary based on reading time and based level knowledge.
Students will need internet access and should bring the current text and a binder for note taking and handouts to class.
Students of advanced ability but younger grade may join the class.
This course meets the general credit requirements for one year of English / Language Arts. Check with your umbrella school to make sure it meets your specific needs.
This class may be taken multiple years (with new and advanced material) to master basic high school level grammar skills.
After completion, students will be prepared for:
- British Literature
- World Literature
- Advanced Grammar / Writing Through Literature
Class Fees: $375
Supply fee: $85 (includes all books / texts not available online or at the library)
Tutor: Candace Fortino
COVID-19 Contingency Plan:
In the event that the COVID-19 pandemic affects our ability to meet in person in a classroom for the 2021-22 school year, I will make the following adjustments to this class. Tutor and students will meet at the scheduled class time via a video chat service. Assignments can be submitted electronically, and feedback will be provided electronically. Group projects and group collaboration will be encouraged via online methods, but adjustments will be made as needed. Our goal is to meet in person as soon as it is feasible. We may begin classroom meetings at any point during the school year as the COVID-19 situation resolves.