Rick Riordan’s character “Junior” in Magnus Chase cited an interesting grammar lesson among a list of things that do not exist. I beg to differ! Learning grammar doesn’t have to be painful. We will keep it light, relevant, informative, and, gasp!, fun. Class discussion will be lively and possibly even enjoyable.
For the budding linguist or the kid who has steadily avoided acknowledging the very existence of grammar, this 30 week class has something for everyone.
Please note: This class may be repeated consecutive years without fear of excessive repetition.
Class Objectives include:
- -Learning parts of speech,
- -How to label parts of a sentence and minimal diagramming,
- -When and how to use prepositions correctly,
- -Clauses vs. phrases,
- -Other overlooked but fundamental parts of an English Grammar education
- Using the best of multiple grammar programs, students (and parents!) will find that they will have a true working knowledge of the basics of grammar that transcends the bounds of one individual program taught in isolation.
Texts (Included in Supply Fee)
- -Wordly Wise (the original, and 3000)
- Worldy Wise provides a comprehensive vocabulary program that complements the study of grammar and sentence building perfectly.
- -Shurley English and Well-Ordered Language styled practice workbooks – Will comprise our in class practice work
- -Easy Grammar – Daily lessons will cement individual concepts
- -Students should be prepared to ask questions in class, follow along with discussion, and copy from the board.
- -Students will reference their in-class handouts to complete homework other own so some organizational skills are necessary. (If students have difficulty copying from the board, accommodations may be made for them to photograph the board for later reference.)
- Students can earn extra points with vocabulary practice at FreeRice.com
Students will need:
- A 1.5” 3 ring binder, notebook paper, pencils
- Access to Schoology- tests, and assignments will be posted there
- Dictionary (at home)
Class homework requirements:
- –Easy Grammar, Daily
- -Completion of class handouts / homework packet
- -Weekly lessons of Wordly Wise
- Students can expect to spend about 30-45 minutes a day on homework (~3 days a week). Students will have all the necessary resources to complete homework on their own after class.
Class Fees: $365
Supply fee:$85 ( includes all books/texts)
Tutor: Candace Fortino
This class may be taken multiple years (with new and advanced material) to master elementary grammar skills.
After completion, older students will be prepared for:
- Intermediate Middle School Language Arts
- IEW Creative Writing B
- Lost Tools of Writing with Great Literature