Creative Writing (Middle School)
“Inside each of us is a natural-born storyteller, waiting to be released.”
— Robin Moore, author
This course is designed to unleash your student’s natural creativity and build their confidence as writers.
Students will learn what makes a compelling story and how to write it. In-class critique groups and personalized editorial feedback will help students grow as writers and communicators. All writing projects will incorporate IEW principles.
A variety of units will be covered to help students find their writing niche. They will include:
Novel Writing (don’t be intimidated, students will only be writing a few chapters)
In addition, students will participate in these exciting online challenges:
- National Novel Writing Month, more than 400,000 authors and writers participate in this challenge to meet writing goals. https://ywp.nanowrimo.org
- Storystorm encourages a storm of new ideas and provides valuable insight from published authors. https://taralazar.com
- Live Writing: Breathing Life into Your Words by Ralph Fletcher
- ISBN-10: 0380797011
- ISBN-13: 978-0380797011
- National Novel Writing Month’s Young Novelist Workbook – High School, 4thEdition — https://www.createspace.com/6113490
- Internet access and computer. All assignments will be typed.
*For a complete English credit, parents should supplement this class with their own grammar and literature curriculum.
Class Fee: $350
Supply Fee: $60
Tutor: Kim Erickson